|4||Master||Architecture and Urbanism||6 ects|
|Learning Period:||Language of Instruction:||Total Hours:|
|Learning Outcomes of the Curricular Unit:|
|Landscape Architecture is a discipline of analysis, design, creation and intervention on the landscape, which has a close relationship with Architecture and Urbanism, which are disciplines that also act on the landscape.|
This Course aims the initiation of the students in the study of the landscape, assimilating its main concepts and principles, learning the history of its genesis and evolution, and applying this knowledge in an exercise of landscape intervention, with a deepening of the concept Green Structure and its application to a case study.
|1. Fundamentals of Landscape Architecture|
1.1. The origin and evolution
1.2. The concept, Scales and character of the landscape
1.3. Landscape Ecology
1.4. Methods of study
1.5. Elements of Landscape
1.6. Natural resources and biophysical elements. Sustainable management
1.7. Anthropogenic elements
1.8. Landscape Units
1.9. Rural and urban landscape. From the global to the local landscape.
1.10. Landscape planning and management
2. Ecological Structure and Green Structure
2.1. Quality of Life and Sustainability
2.2. Ecological Structure and Green Structure
2.3. Green Structure: Form and function
2.4. Principles of the Green Structure
2.5. Green spaces design and planning
2.6. Vegetation in Green Spaces
2.7.Comfort and human perception
3. History of Landscape Architecture
3.2. The Central Civilizations
3.3. The Garden in Ancient Greece and Roman Empire
3.4. The Medieval, Renaissance, Barroc and Naturalistic Garden
3.5. The Public Garden and Park
3.6. The Modern and
|Demonstration of the Syllabus Coherence with the Curricular Unit's Objectives:|
1. Knowledge of Landscape Architecture fundamentals, key concepts, methodologies and interaction with Architecture and Urbanism;
2. Knowledge of the main moments in the history of Landscape Architecture and evolution of gardens and public spaces;
3. Capacity for analysis and diagnosis of landscape, through the study of its components;
4. Ability to integrate ecological thinking, articulating the natural and anthropogenic elements, in the proposed interventions in the landscape;
5. Ability to work information and analyze the case study landscape, relying on the knowledge acquired in the theoretical component, proposing a Green Structure;
6. Ability to integrate knowledge and make judgments about natural resources management in the process of territorial development;
7. Ability to communicate the findings and work developed (as well as the arguments that originated them), in the form of drawing, writing and oral presentation.
|Teaching Methodologies (Including Evaluation):|
The implementation of the program has a theoretical and a theoretical and practical component. The lectures begin with a presentation of the program elements, followed by preparation of exercises to be developed by the students. The theoretical and practical lessons will be devoted to the resolution of the exercises, with tasks which will serve to consolidate and apply the knowledge obtained in the theoretical part, on learning the various programmatic contents.
|Demonstration of the Coherence between the Teaching Methodologies and the Learning Outcomes:|
|A - Theoretical exercises (ET): ET1: Analysis and criticism of green spaces Exercice of analysis and criticism of a green space selected by the student. ET2: Theoretical test B - Theoretical and practical exercises (ETP): ETP1: Analysis and diagnosis of the landscape (Group work) Exercise of analysis of the landscape case study, according to a methodology of analysis, synthesis and proposal. ETP2: Proposal for Green Structure (Individual work) Exercise of proposal for a Green Structure in the landscape case study.|
| CABRAL, F.C. (2003). Fundamentos da Arquitectura Paisagista.|
 CABRAL, F.C. e TELES, G.R. (2005). A árvore em Portugal.
 CANCELA d’ABREU, et al. (2004). Contributos para a identificação e caraterização da paisagem em Portugal continental.
 FADIGAS, L. (2007). Fundamentos ambientais do ordenamento do território e da paisagem.
 FARIELLO, F. (2004) La arquitectura de los jardines: de la antigüedad al siglo XX.
 HOUGH, M. (2004). Naturaleza y ciudad – Planificación urbana y processos ecológicos.
 JELLICOE, G. e JELLICOE, S. (1996). The Landscape of Man.
 MAGALHÃES, M.R. (2001). A Arquitectura Paisagista.
 MAGALHÃES, M.R., et al. (2007) Estrutura ecológica da paisagem.
 PALOMO, P. (2005). La Planificación Verde en las Ciudades.
 QUINTAS, A. (2014). Génese e evolução dos modelos de Estrutura Verde Urbana na estratégia de desenvolvimento das cidades.
 QUINTAS, A. (2015). Planning for Urban Green Infrastructure in Metropolitan Landscapes.