Curricular Unit:Code:
Periodontology I841PRD1
3MasterDentistry4 ects
Learning Period:Language of Instruction:Total Hours:
Spring SemesterPortuguese/English52
Learning Outcomes of the Curricular Unit:
The student should be able to recognize the anatomy of the periodontal tissues, understand their morphological particularities and link them to the functional aspects. From this recognition, it will be reinforced the perception of the need to adopt preventive positions that result in the prevalence of the health framework versus the health-disease binomial. Therefore, the knowledge of the etiopathogenesis and pathophysiology of periodontal diseases should coexist, as well as the possible correlation between systemic states and oral health. In addition to strengthening health status and recognizing the state of disease, it should know how to classify periodontal diseases, indicate the main methods of clinical and imaging diagnosis, establish a treatment plan consistent with the severity of the disease and promote interaction with areas of Dental Medicine.
Anatomy of the Periodontium; Epidemiology of Periodontal Disease; Microbiology of Periodontal Disease: Biofilms and Oral Calculations; Microbiology of Periodontal Disease: Periodontal Infections; Host - Parasite Interactions; Classification of Periodontal Diseases; Periodontal Disease: Gingival Diseases; Periodontal Pathology: Chronic Periodontitis; Periodontal Pathology: Aggressive and Necrotizing Periodontitis; Periodontal Disease: Periodontal Abscess and Endo-Cervix Injury; Periodontal Disease as a Risk for Systemic Disease; Occlusion trauma;
Demonstration of the Syllabus Coherence with the Curricular Unit's Objectives:
Preclinical sessions of simulation of patient care in Periodontics. Approach, anamnesis, establishment of diagnosis and treatment plan. Choice of instruments and sharpening prior to your employment. Root scaling and smoothing techniques with periodontal curettes. Ultrasonic use and bicarbonate jets. Direct and indirect vision.
Teaching Methodologies (Including Evaluation):
The evaluation system comprises the evaluation of theoretical and theoretical-practical knowledge with the following relative weights: 60% in the theoretical and 40% in the theoretical-practical mark.
To do so, the student must obtain a minimum grade of 9.5 values, in each of the components separately so that the final classification between them can be calculated.
Obtaining the notes of the theoretical and theoretical-practical component will be achieved by performing two objective tests, with multiple choice, true false questions and development questions, which account for 95% of the final value. The remaining 5% are allocated to continuous assessment (attendance, punctuality, collaboration and scientific interest). The final value corresponds to that obtained by the arithmetic mean between the first and second tests.
In the practical component, the positive use refers to the pre-clinical sessions and to evaluation moments: two theoretical-practical tests and a practical test.
Demonstration of the Coherence between the Teaching Methodologies and the Learning Outcomes:
The students must be able to recognize the anatomy of the periodontum, to understand the morphological particularities and associate them to the functional aspects. Also, to know the epidemiology of the periodontal disease, the ethiopathogenesis of dental biofilm and calculus, to classify the periodontal disease, to performance an adequate treatment plan and patient approaching, as well as to fulfill the patient record and which devices may be the most indicated to treat an specific status of periodontal disease.
Lindhe, J., Lang, N., – Sixth edition (2015). Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry. Blackwell Munksgaard.Lindhe J. Tratado de Periodontia Clínica e Implantologia Oral. 5ª ed. Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan, 2010. 1304p;
Wolf HF, Edith M, Rateitschak KH. Periodontia. 3 ed. rev. e ampl. Porto Alegre: Artmed Editora SA, 2006. 532p.
Carranza, F. A.,Klokkevold, P. R.; Takei, H. H.; Newman, M. G. Periodontia Clínica. 10ª Ed. Rio de Janeiro: Elsevier, 2007. 1286p.