|5||Master||Pharmaceutical Sciences||13 ects|
|Learning Period:||Language of Instruction:||Total Hours:|
|Learning Outcomes of the Curricular Unit:|
|The goal is to allow the student to develop the skills to prepare the thesis. The student will be oriented in bibliographic research, taking some factors into consideration, e.g. impact factors and number of citations. The importance of ethics in the investigation and in publication of scientific data will be discussed. Some strategies for oral and panel presentations and preparation of papers of scientific work will be highlighted. Additionally, students will get acquainted with essential digital tools to prepare the dissertation, such as Endnote and SPSS software that allow the management of references while writing and the statistical treatment of experimental data.|
Skills and competences:
- Understand how to operate with the essential digital tools in the writing of the dissertation;
- Knowledge and seek sources of information necessary for the preparation of the dissertation.
- Develop and defend of the master dissertation.
|Lective Unit I: Theoretical and practical sessions|
1. Elaboration of scientific works using Fernando Pessoa University guidance
2. Different types of scientific articles and levels of evidence
3. Preparation of a manuscript/research paper
Ethics in writing preparation; structure; preparation; submission; impact index
4. Research Bibliography
Different bibliographic styles; Sources of Internet research: potentials and utilities
5. Endnote as an essential tool in preparing the dissertation
6. Preparation of communications
Poster; Oral communication.
7. Exploration of Quantitative Methods of data processing software
Basics of Statistics; Application of SPSS software
8. Program for detecting plagiarism
Lective Unit III
Preparation and public defense of the master dissertation under supervision.
|Demonstration of the Syllabus Coherence with the Curricular Unit's Objectives:|
|Provide students with basic and specific knowledge to acquire the skills in structuring, organization and public defense of the dissertation. Several strategies for bibliographic research, the most significant search engines, the use of essential software writing and data analysis, strategies for oral and written communication of research results will be explored. Additionally, the manual preparation of scientific papers of the Universidade Fernando Pessoa will be presented . |
Students will be encouraged to explore hypothetical and real situations that could occur in their research according with their thesis theme.
|Teaching Methodologies (Including Evaluation):|
|The concepts that underlie the program will be presented in a succinct, organizational and descriptive manner. This exhibition will be accompanied where possible with appropriate audiovisual material. When asked, the teacher will clarify the doubts and guide the student study.|
The assessment is divided into:
- Component theoretical: classification under "APTO" or "NÃO APTO", determining the possibility to develop a dissertation or not.
The students should develop the organizational structure that could be a dissertation project and they should perform a oral communication of a scientific paper. A search will begin in the classroom, and depends primarily on autonomous work.
- Preparation and public defense of the dissertation, evaluated according to the criteria defined in the Manual for Development of Scientific Papers. The marks obtained in the preparation, evaluation and public defense of the dissertation will be the final grade of this course.
|Demonstration of the Coherence between the Teaching Methodologies and the Learning Outcomes:|
|The teaching metolodogies presented here are mainly based on a skills development model, with a view to acquire knowledge and theoretical skills added value to develop the Master's thesis. In order to acquire the skills and competences expected, the student will be encouraged to deepen the knowledge acquired in theoretical classes (exhibition / participative character) and to seek their practical application (demonstrative / participative character). The constant interaction between the teacher and the student in the classes will allow the adaptation of the student to the proposed objectives. In addition, the use of a set of study materials purposely created, as well as the support sessions to answer questions (tutorial orienation sessions), allow a high level of adjustment between the methodologies used and the objectives of the course.The work that will be prepared in the theoretical component and the public defense of dissertation allows verifying the knowledge and skills acquired by students.|
|(1) Universidade Fernando Pessoa. Manual de Estilo de Elaboração de Trabalhos Científicos http://www.ufp.pt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=568&Itemid=481|
(2) Brenner, Eliana de Moares, Manual de Planejamento e Apresentação de Trabalhos Acadêmicos : projeto de pesquisa, monografia e artigo / Eliana de Moraes Brenner, Dalena Maria Nascimento de Jesus. São Paulo: Atlas, 2007.
(3) Day, RA & Gastel, B (2006) How to Write and Publish a Scientific Paper. 6ª edição. Cambridge. Cambridge University Press.
(4) Blackwell J., MArtin J. (2011) A Scientific Approach to Scientific Writing. Springer.