|Social Reintegration: Intervention Programs and Alternative Sentencing||817RSPI|
|Learning Period:||Language of Instruction:||Total Hours:|
|Learning Outcomes of the Curricular Unit:|
|The aim of the course is to provide efficient and effective skills for rehabilitation and reintegration.|
1. To equip trainees with theoretical and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes responsive to emerging needs and challenges in correctional services and criminal justice system;
2. To produce practitioners who are able to apply their knowledge and skills in correctional and crime prevention and institutional management.
3. Characterize the special needs related to the treatment of criminals in the correctional system (e.g., mentally ill or female).
4. Demonstrate and integrate an understanding of ethics and ethical behavior in/at all levels of corrections, parole, and probation
|1. Corrections and non-custodial penal santions and measures.|
1.1. Origin and development of non-custodial penal santions.
1.2. Evolution of non-custodial penal santions and imprisonment crisis.
1.3. The effects of imprisonment and prison criticisms
1.4. Reducing prison sentences
2. Analysis of criminological around at alternatives to prison: political and criminal models
3. Non-custodial penal sanction in Portuguese legal system
4. Are non-custodial measures effective?
|Demonstration of the Syllabus Coherence with the Curricular Unit's Objectives:|
|Syllabus contents focus on specific theoretical issues, allowing promoting the acquisition and integration of concepts, models and theories of non-custodial penal sanctions. It also allows to integrate knowledge, skills and abilities to conduct a professional behaviour, as well as the main techniques and methodologies used in probation.|
|Teaching Methodologies (Including Evaluation):|
|Teaching methodology will include lecturing, researching, reading and discussion of syllabus contents. In tutorial sessions will be paid special attention in applying contents to professional practice. Theoretical and practical tasks will be proposed, as well. Evaluation will be continuous, based on a report and an oral presentation and discussion of this work.|
|Demonstration of the Coherence between the Teaching Methodologies and the Learning Outcomes:|
|Lectures will be focused in integration of concepts, models and theories, that underlie non-custodial measures. In tutorial sessions, guidelines will be applied to carry out an non-custodial reports.|
|DL nº 48/95, de 15 de Março (Código Penal) Disponível em http://www.pgdlisboa.pt/leis/lei_mostra_articulado.php?nid=109&tabela=leis|
Observatorio Vasco de Drogodependências (2009). El cumplimiento de las medidas alternativas a la pena privativa de libertad en personas drogodependientes. Disponível em:
Regras Mínimas das Nações Unidas para a Elaboração de Medidas não Privativas de Liberdade (Regras de Tóquio) Disponível em: http://www.gddc.pt/direitos-humanos/textos-internacionais-dh/tidhuniversais/dhaj-NOVO-regrastoquio.html
UNDOC (2013). Manual de principios básicos y prácticas prometedoras en la aplicación de
Medidas sustitutivas del encarcelamiento. Disponível em: http://www.unodc.org/documents/justice-and-prison-reform/crimeprevention/Handbook_of_basic_principles_and_promising_practices_on_Alternatives_to_Imprisonment_Spanish.